Apr 25, 2014

Which am I living for?



"It is Thy cause and kingdom I long for, not my own" 


This line from a prayer I recently read (from one of my favourite books) has taken up residence in my mind these days and is becoming a theme, a lesson the Lord is teaching me.

As a Christian, I agree - it is Christ's purposes and kingdom I ultimately desire - but I also see something else at work in my heart, my sinful nature wanting my desires granted, in a sense my kingdom being built.

I want comfort and ease and things going my way. I want my desires and wishes met, and for life to look exactly as I think it should. I want everyone to like me and admire me and treat me well. I don't want trials or my plans and goals to be disturbed, thank you. (And the list could continue.)

But the Spirit places a desire contrary to these in believer's hearts, visible underneath all the clutter of our sinful humanity, found in the beauty of surrender and submission to Him: not my will, but Yours, Father.

It is so freeing. I can stop the struggle of wanting things my way and find rest, because I belong to my Father and He is sovereign and works all things according to the purpose of His will (Eph 1:11).

Letting this truth soak into our souls transforms how we think in the midst of the most ordinary or difficult struggles of life - we don't have to give in to frustration or bitterness or hopelessness because God can use even this for His purposes, His cause - nothing is without meaning or wasted in a life belonging to Him.

These days I am reminding myself of these truths in the middle of sleep disrupted nights or dealing with a toddler's tantrum or a thrown-off schedule or lack of "me time". Not real suffering - simply small annoyances - but I am learning (slowly) to surrender it all to Him, praying for the fruit of much-needed sanctification, trusting that all His ways are good.

May I long for your kingdom, Lord, not my own.

3 comments:

  1. Great quote/prayer!! And a wonderful lesson to be learning! I think we all struggle in this - in various ways - but so true - there is much peace and joy when we surrender to Him and His ways!

    Psalm 37:4 - Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart.

    I remember when this verse became clear to me - in a whole new light, a few years back - how delighting in Him did not give one, the desires that THEY longed for (not exactly - you know, not the whole genie thing) but when in fact - delighting in the Lord made the desires of our heart inline with HIS desires for us! Beautiful isn't He!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Man's primary purpose: To glorify God and enjoy Him forever.' It is the glorifying of Him that brings us joy. It is too easy to take on the wrong attitude and ask, "Whats in it for me?" Thanks for the gentle reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this, Steph. Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete